Thursday, March 17, 2011

Prairie Dogs in Northern Colorado

Currently, I'm working as field researcher for a long-term study on the sociobiology of prairie dogs, directed by Professor John Hoogland. I'm living in a trailer with 3 others from March through July and working in Arapaho Wildlife Refuge every day observing the p-dogs. I plan to write more about our work and experiences here, but for now I wanted to share a video we put together for the website www.iTwixie.com.

We were invited to create episodes of our work every other week for the "tween" girls (ages 8-14) that read and participate on the website. The site is half educational and half a limited facebook-type site where young teen girls can interact with each other and learn. iTwixie encourages the girls to express their interests in science since marketing studies have shown that it is at this age that girls are exposed to increasing marketing directing their interests away from fields such as science, sports, and technology.

We are looking forward to filming future episodes and seeing the girls' interest. And I hope you enjoy them too as a fun and simple way to see what I'm up to!



OR

No comments: